Old December 19th 16, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Best MTB Lighting System?

On 12/18/2016 5:24 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 12:17:38 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I just can't put my hands on it but I had a large battery
headlight/taillight combo, but they had incandescent lights.
When I added an LED it really knocked me out how much more
the road was lit. And they supposedly had the same candlepower.

Watch your terms here. Candlepower is (or was) a measure of luminous
intensity, also known as brightness, at a given point. There is no
consideration for the area illuminated, as is the case with lumens.
Given good optics, I could concentrate the output from a single LED,
and produce candlepower higher than that produced by the noon sun.

If both lights claimed the same number of lumens, then I would be
worried.

Oh crap. Lunch is on fire...

Why? Did you set it down in that headlight's beam?

--
- Frank Krygowski