Old August 19th 17, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Octalink ES25 replacement?

On 2017-08-18 18:05, jbeattie wrote:

You have a mid-fi Fuji with parts that are at least a decade
old (if it has Octalink).

I have a low-fi Mitsubishi offroad vehicle. Yet that doesn't
have any problems whatsoever.

I _strongly_ suspect you exaggerate the reliability and longevity
of your motor vehicles even more than you exaggerate the faults
of your bicycles. I keep maintenance records on my cars, and I
know what repairs are necessary to keep a car running for my
normal ten year replacement cycle, let alone the 18 years I kept
one car. Your claims about never burning out even a dome light
are totally unrealistic.

It's fact. Also, that vehicle is now at close to 78000 miles. Try
that with a bicycle.

Hmm. Sounds like time for timing belt --or did you do that at 60K?
What did that cost you?

Handbook says at 100k. I did it anyhow after 15 years. Material costs
were under $200 but I didn't want to do it myself and paid the shop.
Pure PM, the old belt (it;s two in my case) were perfectly ok. My wife's
Toyota is not an impact engine so it still has the old belt after 22
years and runs fine.

... How about wheel bearing seals, brake pads,
rotors? With all the super-gnarly roads, I would expect your shocks
to be exhausted.

None of the above, so $0.00. Yes, this included gnarly "forest highways"
to haul firewood where I pushed the load limit of the vehicle. It hit
the rubbers the whole ride. Didn't bother it at all.

Now, I know that this is a gifted group, but most ordinary people
(including me) can't/wont change a timing belt on a Mitsubishi.

Not very difficult. Actually a teenager in the neighborhood does all the
timing belts on the family's cars. I mainly didn't do it because it
requires a lot of bending over and my lower back isn't in good shape.

... They
would pay maybe $4-5 hundred for a shop to do that. Most people can
do a wide range of repairs on a bicycle with a pocket tool. Ultegra
BB -- $16.

The vast majority of cyclists I know drop off their bikes at their LBS
to have that done. Also, a BB will not even budge using a pocket tool.
You and I have the tools to change it out that but most cyclists don't.

Obviously you don't use a pocket tool on a BB. The example was of the low price of replacing at least some wear parts on a bike.

You can buy a bullet-proof shaft drive bike. You should do that.

https://www.biketownpdx.com/how-it-works/meet-the-bike People creep
all over Portland on those things. I'm sure it would accept a growler
cage.

That doesn't prevent BB wear :-)

It certainly reduces wear on shaft bearings. http://dynamicbicyclesuk.co.uk/files...s%20uk%203.jpg All sealed, and with the arrangement of the gears, you could use a bushing instead of a bearing. Perfect. And the stout drive shaft could handle the weight of all the stuff in your pannier.

-- Jay Beattie.