Old August 8th 18, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Mafac cantilever straddle cables

On 8/7/2018 6:00 PM, Mark J. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever
brakes. I just want to replace the cables*, and the
straddle cables gave me a quandary.

Mafac straddle-cable ends are old-style gearshift cable
lugs, and there's a fitting they goes into to engage the
brake arm.

In the old days, we'd replace the straddle with any good
gear shift cable (Campy's were generally beefier), but
modern index-shift gear cables seem a bit fragile for brake
work.

Thoughts?

Mark J.

*The brake shoes were replaced long ago with Cool-Stop
?Eagle claws?, so that's covered. Mafac pads were a bit of
a fright.

Use Campagnolo (or Simplex if available) gear wires. The
head fits nicely in your Mafac carriers but Shimano type
heads jam in place. As regards strength/quality, modern
wires of all types are uniformly better period.

p.s. Kool Stop has Mafac type inserts in both black and
salmon compound if you can find your original shiny aluminum
holders.

p.p.s. Simichrome is your friend for classic not-anodized
Duraluminum parts.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/