Old October 22nd 18, 10:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default those darned NYC cyclists again

On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 3:20:01 AM UTC+1, N8N wrote:
On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 7:11:15 AM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:

The sort of person who today might want a Patek Philippe watch usually already knows that they are at the peak of the pile for good reasons. As an example, my first Patek was the thinnest automatic wris****ch in the world, a triumph of design and construction.

Another way of putting it is that Patek Philippe had already been a watch for people of refinement for a hundred years when a Rolex was still a sturdy watch for farmers,

*divers. seriously. Although I have a serious jones for a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms just to be different (the other serious contender for "first practical dive watch"). The one from that pile (although behind the curve by a decade or so) that I actually *have* is a Vostok Amphibia, because for $30 give or take the Russians managed to also produce a functional dive watch but without all the precision machining, but it still *functioned* which is an achievement of a different sort and equally admirable. Shame they didn't figure out lumed hands and indices or a ratcheting bezel at the same time; personally I'd be terrified to actually use it as a primary diving timekeeping tool, but still.

nate

I forgot to mention -- The Russians had only, or possibly two, watch factories. One of them made pocket watches, the other one wris****ches, so this watch that a fellow showed me probably came from the same factory as your Vostok Amphibia. It was a pilot's stopwatch with an E6 rotary "flight computer" printed around the outside of the dial. The whole thing was dressed up to look, at a first quick shortsighted glance, like a Willy Breitling special that lived a life of hard knocks. The kicker was that the buttons for the stopwatch did nothing, and the rotary slide rule didn't rotate...It was issued to pilots. This fellow told me most of the Russian pilots craved a posting to East Germany because there they might find a good watch, made in East Germany.

AJ