Old October 5th 17, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Rotor material?

On 2017-10-05 12:34, Joerg wrote:
Some rotors are sold for "resin pads only", others do not list
restrictions. What is the difference in materials?

I am using ceramic based pads not normally sold at the LBS, supposedly
similar to what motorcycles have. Because they give me best results.

Other questions while at it:

My rotors are formally 7" and 6". Can I use 180mm and 160mm instead? The
7" one on my MTB actually measures about 185mm. I'd hate to have to
grind down the spacer but might have to because 7" is more rare.

Does anyone know what the raw rotors foer custom-laser deals are called?
Couldn't find any on EBay. Ideally I'd want rotors that are solid like
on motor vehicles, for better heat tolerance. Weight doesn't matter.

Add-on: I am also looking for at least 2.2mm thickness like the
originals from Promax. The newer ones from Promax only have 2mm and also
a weird wavy design:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qjAAAO...rj/s-l1600.jpg

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Hayes makes the 5-7" rotors. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...ls.php?id=5018 You could always go with a bigger metric size and add spacers rather than going smaller and grinding down your current bracket. You would have to get longer bolts probably. This would also accommodate your gnarly riding style and need for maximum braking power. Go big or go home!

I use sintered metalic pads because they last a long time and work well in wet conditions. I am not familiar with the ceramic/metal pads except that I have seen them on the rack.

All one piece rotors I know of are SS, although you can buy CF rotors. Magura (and I think Avid) makes thick rotors (2mm) that are supposed to be good at shedding heat, but I don't know of anyone who makes them thicker than that.
You'll have to do some detective work.

-- Jay Beattie.