Old March 20th 17, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default The University of Aalborg Study on Daytime Flashing Lights for Bicycles.

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 6:56:22 PM UTC, sms wrote:
Odense

My ancestor, Odin, who was worshiped as a god by the Anglo-Saxons until the coming of Christianity, lived on Odense, an island off the coast of Jutland, where the city of Odense, named for him, now stands. Of course he wasn't a god to start with. He was a warrior and a poet, but then all chiefs were warriors and were expected to be poets as well; in addition he was widely recognized as a moral philosopher and he had lots of really violent descendants, including Horsa and Hengist, who founded the British nation. They were Jutes, like Odin, but the Jutes were a small tribe, so the mass of Anglo-Saxon johnny-come-latelies just claimed them, and Odin, for their own history. The Encyclopedia Britannica, at least in the famous 11th edition which I use, got it right, but who listens to the Britannica except the truly well-educated, whose relatives probably wrote the relevant articles.

Andre Jute
It helps your posterity to have lots of really violent descendants

PS Don't ask: I don't know if Odin cycled before he became too dignified, being a god, to ride a bicycle like the other Jutes, now called Danes.