Old October 24th 11, 01:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Harry Brogan[_7_]

Default The NEW ride is GREAT

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 10:41:14 +1000, "Peter Howard"
wrote:

Harry Brogan wrote:
I have been riding "THE BEAST" for a while now and it just seems to
get better and better each day!!!!!

Thanks for the many suggestions and I have put some into use already.

Here are a few photos...and, as always, I am open for suggestions and
comments!!!!! THANKS!!!!!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...T/DSC_0075.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...T/DSC_0034.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...T/DSC_0165.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...T/DSC_0174.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...T/DSC_0191.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...T/DSC_0211.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...C_0219-1-1.jpg

Glad you're enjoying it.

The hand grenade valve caps definitely add to the utility and functionality of
the Beast. (just kidding)

I was intrigued by what appear to be bright blue brake lever extensions. I've
never seen anything like them. The purpose seems to be to make the brakes
accessible from the bar ends. Can you tell us more, such as who makes them, are
they still made, have I guessed right about their purpose, does their usability
depend on the shape of the bar ends, anything else you can think of?

Have you changed the bars, or is the apparent small rearward sweep stock? I like
a little sweep on a utility bike to give a natural angle to the wrists. The
swoopy bar end extensions are a good move, despite being so very 1990's. I can
see why modern MTBers if they use bar ends at all go for shorter ones to lessen
their sapling-hooking propensities. However, I have swoopy ones myself on
several straight bar bikes, both utility and sporty to give me a more forward
grip when I must get out of the saddle. My Nitto Albatross barred bikes have
longish stems which give me the forward grip on the bends which have a forward
sweep in any case.

Tell us more about the rear lighting setup, like what and how it is powered.
It's very visible which is good for any bike let alone a long and loaded cargo
bike.

PH

You would be correct in your assumption on the lever extensions. They
were available in many bike shops years ago. And I know that I wanted
them so I tried to find them through the same compane ((TekTro)) but
they no longer manufacture them. The ones that you see I found on
Ebay and they worked out just fine. They seem to work with about any
bar-end as it depend on the placement on the levers and the bar-ends.

The handlebars are the stock setup that comes with the bike. I have
done nothing to them except change the angle just slightly.

The rear LED light setup is actually designed for a car. However,
when you check the auto parts stor they have a small button that you
press to "test" them. If you open the package there is usually a
little box that's filled with a stack of those fat watch-type
batteries. You can continue to use those for a while until it wears
out. After that I simply wired in a 9-volt to the toggle switch to
turn them on and off. Works out fantastic and is GREAT at night and
dusk. Really draws a lot of attention as there is quite a bright glow
as I am sure you noticed.

Anything else?.....I'll be happy to answer!!!!!