Old July 11th 18, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default drill/tap in frames

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:45:09 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 7/10/2018 6:02 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

it was a schizophrenic time, unlike today when we have it all together, and the technology is perfect.

I tell my kids, “back in my day, people didn’t think it was a good idea
to grab an electric drill and drill holes in you bicycle frame, now we
know better.”

Strange isn't it? After all the normal road bike frame has holes in
it. Usually, as a minimum, 4 for bottle cages, one for seat tube clamp
and another one or two for the derailers , quite frequently 6 to 8
more for the fenders (Oh, I forgot, "it never rains in southern
California") and a couple for racks. I've even got a couple of frames
with holes drilled for the shifters.

Some of these frames are 25 or more years old and haven't cracked
yet.... how long do I have to wait?
--

Cheers,

John B.