Old January 3rd 07, 03:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ben Goren

Default Bent xmas

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Ben Goren wrote:

Oh -- and the wheels need a little bit of truing. I was able to
get away with reversing the brake pads on my wedgie in lieu of
a truing stand, but I'm not sure that'll work too well on the
Leprechaun. And I'd really rather not shell out $$$ on a stand
or $$ for the LBS...but I might not have much choice.

Pick up a cheap trainer.

You can then bodge up a marker using some duct tape and a pencil
and some chalk. Tape chalk to pencil, tape pencil to trainer.

They are also useful as recumbent work stands. OK, you have to
grovel a bit rather than work at standing height, but it isn't
as though you have to do it all day every day.

I like the idea...except that the cheapest trainers I've seen are
twice Park's home-edition truing stand. Perhaps I'm not looking in
the right places...?

Plus, there's always the question of dishing....

Many many many many many moons ago, when I was a student
at Arizona State, there was a student-run bike coop with a
reasonably well equipped shop just north of the Memorial Union.
Students could just pop in, do whatever, and be on their way.
Unfortunately, I think they vanished many many moons ago, I'm not
sure than alumni would be welcomed, and I'm not aware of anything
similar. Shame, too -- it was a great place to learn about all
things cycling as well as an affordable way to get work done. One
of those really good things that comes from a healthy community.

Cheers,

b&

--
EAC Memographer