Old January 14th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default OT Is anyone really surprised?

On Jan 13, 7:25*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
"A study that claimed 650,000 people were killed as a
result of the invasion of Iraq was partly funded by
the antiwar billionaire George Soros.

Um... so what else is new? Do you think it was the tobacco industry that
funded the studies showing that cigarettes kill people? No. The tobacco
industry studies claimed there was no clear link. People who DISAGREED with
that... you could call them anti-tobacco if you wish... funded the studies
that showed otherwise.

So why in the world would anyone think that somebody supporting, or even
neutral towards the war in Iraq, would question and thus fund a study
challenging the previously-claimed death figures?

I'm not saying that 650,000 killed is accurate, nor the 151,000. But I will
suggest that the existence of both estimates might get reasonable people to
question whether either one is correct and perhaps lead to a method deriving
a number that the majority of people can agree upon.

So what exactly was your point again?

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in ...

Hey Mike
I think the point is that this study was trotted out as THE study.
They attacked everyone else who had come to different figures
brutally, claimed they were all biased due to who was doing/
commissioning them, and they claimed to be pure as driven snow.
We find out it was as questionable and sleazy as they claimed the
rest of them are.
They do the same sleazy things, but claim to be utterly virtuous.
That more than anything makes me crazy. That and we find Soros at the
bottom of just about everything attacking the US as a scumbag country,
but they variously claim, "he's not really involved", "He didn't give
them money", "They didn't do that, or say that". and then we find
irrefutable evidence he, and they did all of the above.
We need to be saved from the people who are saving us.
Bill C