Old September 27th 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Bike theft

On Sep 26, 6:34*pm, " wrote:
OK, the best way to theft proof your bike - don't lock it up and keep it
with you at all times.- Hide quoted text -

That said, I wonder how many people here do that? For example, cycle
to the grocery store to buy bread for tonight's pasta supper and
bananas for tomorrow's breakfast, and bring the bike in to the store
with them.

If anybody has done that, what's the typical reaction.?

Cullen

Well, since you ask, I do this on a regular basis and have been for
more than 10 years.

The local Albertsons store (in Benbrook TX) has never made me feel
anything less than WELCOME to shop in their store.

The local Brookshires store went through a 'stupid' phase, soon after
the Katrina hurricane, when they wouldn't let me shop there unless I
left my backpack in their office while I walked around the store.
This was because some of the evacuees that were being housed here had
been coming in with backpacks and, allegedly, hiding some food in
them.

In truth, Abertsons bananas always seem to be much better quality than
Brookshire's, so it was no loss to not be allowed in there.

Lewis.

*****