Old August 7th 19, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Can use 9-Speed chain with 6 or 7 speed cluster?

On 8/7/2019 1:26 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/7/2019 10:38 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
:Hi there.

:All my spare chains are 9-speed ones. My friend needs a new chain but
his bike is either 6 or 7 speed rear cluster. Will a 9 speed chain
work on a 6 or 7 speed cluster?

Yes, but shifting may be a little iffy if it's indexed.Â* Friction, no
problem.Â* But a new 8 speed chain is only about 10 bucks, and is
likely to last longer, and available at any decent bike shop.

You're right on the principle but 5/6/7 chain has rivets sticking out
the side (8 & up don't) which makes a big difference in shift response
in older gear trains.

I agree that the protruding rivets make some difference, but I don't
think it's enough to worry about. I have five or six rear cogs on
several bikes in the family. I use 8 speed chains with no problems.

These bikes mostly use old SunTour derailleurs, which I think delivered
the best shifts back in those ancient days. Perhaps with other
derailleurs the differences are greater.

--
- Frank Krygowski