Old September 2nd 07, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

Default Achievement(s)

"SAW" wrote in message

Shall I just wait until I get a bit better? Or should I go for it
anyway? Or does anyone know of any groups or anyone interested in doing
the odd 15-20 m route? I'm very much a recreational cyclist (although I
do commute occasionally) and I enjoy going with people but don't like
slowing people down or otherwise inconveniencing people.

I was in the same position as you just over a year a go - furthest I'd
ridden was around 40 miles and I was just a (35 year old) 1000 mile a year
commuter.

Decided to take the plunge and tagged on to the local club Saturday
morning social ride (approx. 40 miles at an average 16-17mph with a cafe
stop).

Stop right there! It may not seem like it to you now, but 16-17mph is
actually a bit fast for many people. Of course the OP is best placed to know
if it's a bit high or not.

There are definitely more pootly rides about - I believe CTC groups offer
such things for example. Liverpool Wheelers is an example of a club which
does more that sort of riding.

cheers,
clive