Old April 8th 21, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Default tubeless or tubes

Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 3:23:39 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
sms wrote:
On 4/6/2021 1:08 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/4/2021 8:59 PM, Mark cleary wrote:
I wonder what most regular cyclist are riding these days. I see so much
on tubeless sets up and I have never given it a thought. I don't flat
much so I just do not see the benefit at all and really so much easier
just putting a tube in. I am I in the minority these days?

I'm not aware of any of my riding friends using tubeless.

The bike industry, including bike magazines, always have to hype
_something_ new. Don't confuse hype with actual benefits or actual
practice.

One or two of mine are generally folks whose bikes have come set up new
like it.

I personally haven’t bothered, put off by the hassle and cost.

Plus well tubes work for me.

Roger Merriman

I don't think many people go out and convert a bicycle with wheels that
don't support tubeless into tubeless by buying new wheels. I do see some
new bicycles with wheels that support tubeless but that don't ship with
tubeless.

You'd think that the inconvenience and the expense would put most people
off of tubeless, but you never know. Just like I question the
inconvenience, weight, and expense of CO2 cartridges versus a mini-pump.
You can buy a mini-pump that weighs as little as 25 grams, much less
than a Co2 cartridge and an inflator, but some people love the speed of
a CO2 cartridge (until they run out of CO2 and have to borrow someone's
pump).

The MTB has wheels and tires that could be set up, but I’ve never really
been tempted, I tend to use higher pressures (slightly) 30psi or so as I
hate the sidewall wallowing, it punctures so rarely that is a non issue.

The Gravel has non tubeless rims and again on the whole it works, i mix
road and gravel and mild MTB trails, again settled on a psi that is just
above the point the tires wallow if I push them. Which for Gravel is 50psi.

I hate CO2 total pain in the ass, I have settled on a mini pump with hose,
which copes with tires from 35mm to 60mm+ if perhaps slowly!

If you are a downhill racer, tubeless tires are an absolute necessity
because they run low pressures to be able to ride over anything. But if
you're not suicidal, tubes work perfectly well.

Ha far from it! Though DH racers tend to run higher pressures as they load
up the tires and do jumps and what not, it’s also where tubes hung on the
longest in pro ranks as far as I’m aware, push hard and you can roll a tire
off the rim.

It’s XC racers who tend to run seriously low pressures that and some Gravel
riders, though most are more conservative ie higher pressures, in real
life!

Roger Merriman