Old April 11th 21, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Default GD cable derailleurs!

Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 8:35:36 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 6:04:48 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 2:22:54 PM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5:32:07 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
James wrote:
On 7/4/21 2:09 pm, jbeattie wrote:
A few miles into my evening ride on my cable-shift Emonda -- with my
wife pushing me on her ebike, I shifted to go up the next hill and
snap -- immediate downshift into 34/11. Great. In the middle of a
9% grade, that turned at the top to another climb, but a short one.
I tacked a bit, got home and then jumped on the Di2 disc Synapse and
started over. Heavier with fenders, etc., but still a nice bike.
The discs, BTW, don't drag at all. Thank Buddha for that reliable
Di2.

The good thing about the latest Ultegra levers is that there is a
trap door under the lever body, and you can remove one screw, take
out the door and grab the broken cable and end. No more fishing it
out of the lever. This is the second time in 20 years on STI that
I've broken a cable. Before that I broke a friction bar-end cable in
the middle of a tour. I had a spare.

I guess when you've been riding the Di2 setup for the same time &
distance you'll be able to make a more reasonable comparison.

I'm still waiting to break a cable after more than 30 years of using
cable actuated gears and brakes.

I tend to have to replace as the cable gets sticky, and after a while can’t
be cleaned/lubed into life.

Don’t think I’ve ever snapped a cable. Mind you until this year had never
snapped a hanger...

Now that they are making replaceable hangers the aluminum material is of
the wrong alloy and is very brittle. I don't think that this is to allow
break away in case of a crash or to make people buy more of them but
simply that alloy is just cheaper than hell. It appears to be almost pure aluminum.

These where both OEM parts, ie two separate bikes, one is fairly new, other
is 6 or 7 years old now. In both cases due to COVID19 restrictions I was
riding in well bog.

Ie have no reason to believe was any design fault.

Campy record or Chorus cables are lined with nylon I believe and with
stainless cables. Using these I don't expect any stickiness or grabbling
of any sort. I can't say that I was particularly impressed with Shimano
small parts like their cables and replacement parts. Of course, perhaps
your weather conditions are sufficiently glum that you have to watch out
for that sort of thing.

On the gravel bike the cables seem fairly protected, so generally don’t
have a issue, on the MTB has too much open space so bike shop has hacked
it, ie used a continuous line so there is only where it enters the
derailleur that muck can get in.

On the commute bike which is outside 99.9% of the time water gets in, plus
I have some soggy bits on the commute.

I think I did try some posher cables few years back, but it gummed up as
quickly, sometimes can be cleaned, the MTB and commute bike reach that
point once a year or so, Gravel not so far, it’s 2/3 years old. Though it’s
used in much kinder conditions.

I keep a touring bike out back in case something happens to my bike of I
have one of those occurrences of my eyes pointing in difference
directions and I get in a wreck and lose my license. It has never
occurred when I'm driving and I would instantly pull over if it did, but I am prepared.

Whoosh!

Are you talking about a seizure?

No, it is an occasional reaction to the medication. It only lasts a
minute of so and it is usually when I am sitting down in my house. It has
never happened on the bike except one time an I simply closed one eye so
I could safely pull to the side and wait for it to pass. It has never
happened while I was driving but then I don't drive close to when I take
the medication. After 20 minutes after I take the medication it can
happen. I suspect it is a rapid absorption and had started eating before
taking the medication. In two weeks I see my Neurologist again and we can
discuss what happened last night. I had an episode in the middle of the
night that felt like what he thought was a miniseizure. When I got up
this morning I realized that I had taken my evening medication twice.
Since it screws up your short term memory I put the pills in a plastic
container market with morning and evening and day of the week. I was busy
when the alarm went off so I delayed taking the medication. Then I must
have forgotten that I had taken the medication and did it again despite
the fact that it was marked. So these problem may all be attributable
with an overdose rather than an underdose.

Hmm may not be epilepsy, but sounds rather seizure like to be honest.

If the medication is causing it, which does happen definitely worth asking
for alternatives.

Didn’t you have a brain injury? Stuff that reduces cognitive function
doesn’t seem a great idea, unless no other options.

Roger Merriman