Old April 14th 21, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Nibali bike crash

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 1:24:16 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 9:41:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 9:16:26 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.corriere.it/sport/21_apr...e940a2d0.shtml

Broken wrist. I did not recognize the term 'osteosynthesis
surgery' but that means something like 'patch':

http://www.yellowjersey.org/WRISTNU.JPG
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

For that wrist to work normally without pain they have to remove all of that metal and all four screws or else arthritis will occur later in life. Nibali isn't a spring chicken and should have known a lot better than trying to catch himself with this hand rather than just using them to deflect himself into a rollover.

That's not true. Hardware usually stays in unless it becomes infected or causes mechanical pain. Hardware may limit movement for a variety of reasons, but it does not cause arthritis (absent infection). In fact, there is a lower rate of arthritis with ORIF than with closed reduction and casting. I had the plate and screws in my right ankle removed because they were misplaced, and pressure from my ski boot caused the screw heads to pop through my skin and bleed. I was the orthopedic Jesus with my ankle stigmata. I have a rod in my right tibia and broke a locking screw and had that removed, too. I still have the rod. I have well installed plate in my left ankle that will remain there until death. I have a tiny plate and screws in my hand that will also stay put.

-- Jay Beattie.

If Hollywood ever comes out with another Ironman or Robocop movie, they need to just drive to the next state up for the actor. No costume people needed.