Old April 16th 21, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default I am that out of date

The local bike shop needs a mechanic they called me about doing some work for them. They knew I could build wheels and repair them and the manger of shop knows me. Well I go in to discuss things and they said most all the work they do is on disk brake bikes. That surprised me although they are a Trek Dealer. They definitely need a wheel person the shop manager is the only one who can really rebuild a wheel and probably my take only he could true them decent. That sounds pretty off for a Trek shop.

Then I told them I happen to have Shimano 6800 and was good with Shimano and Campy/Shram I did not work on much but not hard to figure out. They seem cool to the fact that I would figure it out pretty quick. But the guy mentions my 6800 is old stuff hard to get parts. I told him I road Titanium and still always want BSA thread BB on my bikes. He laugh but agreed at least TI was good and nothing wrong with rim brakes. I was just totally surprised they find 6800 old? Do folks ever ride bikes for a few years before buying another or junking?

Finally I told him I could not tell him if I wanted the job until after the weekend. He wants 3 days a week 10-6pm. I cannot do weekends the deacon works. Then the wild thing I am discerning if I want to pursue the priesthood with further study. If the Bishop gives me a dispensation on some formation requirements.....then? I don't want to work 3 days.

Finally I guess if you buy a bike it is outdate after 2 years? Granted mine is 4 but wow I was taken back by what he said.
Deacon Mark