Old April 22nd 21, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default I am that out of date

On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 12:06:50 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 8:36:26 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/21/2021 10:33 PM, wrote:

I somehow forgot about clipless pedals. They are a HUGE improvement. I started with Time Equipe road pedals back in the late 1980s, early 1990s. Same ones Lemond used.

Interestingly, the guy who set our club's record for club mileage
(11,000+ miles of club rides, not counting his individual rides) just
got a new pair of shoes for riding. They're ordinary New Balance
sneakers. He rides using toe clips.

Meanwhile, serious cyclists use step in pedal systems. https://lessonsinbadassery.com/amand...iles-423-days/ Way better than smashing your toes against clips in soft toe-box shoes. I even preferred Beta Bikers back in the day, and today I would tour on SPDs.

-- Jay Beattie.

Good story. Sadly, these are the parts that stood out the most for me.

"she switched to the local park, Flatwoods, near her home in Tampa, Florida, to complete a 7-mile loop over and over again"
"as Amanda had suffered a serious brain injury whilst cycling in 2011 when a car hit her at 50mph. Flatwoods wasn’t the only place she cycled, but it helped the family keep an eye on her, as even in Flatwoods she was being pestered by men while on her bike."
"After my crash, I wasn’t sure that I would ever cycle again (Amanda was left with a broken leg, a back injury that eventually led to surgery, cartilage and tissue damage, deep bone bruising, hip, knee, ankle and foot injuries and a Traumatic Brain Injury)."

Her riding was done between May 2016 and mid 2017. "pestered by men while on her bike". I am sure glad Trump was in charge during part of her ride to Make America Great Again. We need American men to harass, molest, assault, twenty something age girls on bikes. Trump won Florida electoral votes in 2016 and 2020.