Old April 24th 21, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default I am that out of date

wrote:
On Friday, April 23, 2021 at 9:22:00 PM UTC-5, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 14:33:32 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I remember the arguments of yore in this forum, about who could be
called a "real cyclist." IIRC, many posters thought the "real cyclists"
were the ones who used the posters' equipment choice.

And I say that you aren't a serious cyclist if you can't carry two
gallons of milk, or at least an attaché case.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Two gallons of milk? Now disregarding the idea that I would ever ever
ever buy two gallons of milk at once, I don't need to have a full spare
gallon when I am using the first half of the first gallon. Carrying two
gallons is hard. One gallon is easy. I can easily ride one handed and
carry the gallon milk in the other. But trying to carry two gallons at
once? I can and do occasionally ride no handed. But that is only once I
get up to speed. I never start no handed riding from a stand still. And
carrying two gallons in one hand, that might be really hard. About 17
pounds of weight and grabbing both of the handles in a gallon jug at
once. I'm going to stick with riding with one gallon milk at a time.
Carrying an attache case and a gallon of milk both in the same hand would be hard too.

With the right hardware, 2 gallons of milk is a breeze. I’ve done tours
where the bike plus four loaded panniers weighed 75 pounds.