Old May 23rd 21, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Weights of my bikes

On Sun, 23 May 2021 08:32:04 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 7:49:13 PM UTC-7, wrote:
BTW, almost all the exams I gave to my students were open book.

Well, of course, because engineering isn't memorizing but knowing where to look for what.

Sorta. Engineering is knowing how things work and making those things
do something useful. You can't look that up in a book. Just knowing
the answer or in which book or web page to look, is insufficient. Some
problems require looking far more than one book.

Richard Feynman had that problem when he taught physics in Brazil. The
students were very good at memorization, but did badly at
understanding how things worked. See section on Brewster's Law:
"THE PROBLEM OF TEACHING PHYSICS IN LATIN AMERICA"
http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/46/2/LatinAmerica.htm

Going back 50 years to college, I seem to recall that open book exams
were much more difficult because the instructor could ask questions
that required knowing what information was needed to solve a problem.
In desperation, one could dig that out of a book, but then one would
never be able to finish the exam in time. In some cases, it was
easier and quicker to derive the necessary equations from first
principles than to find them buried somewhere in a book or in class
notes.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272