Old February 7th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Crank hops vs. regular hops

DONT CRANKHOP. I know from personal experience that it really slows down
your overall ability. I used to crank hop and people have seen in my
videos. At first it was great, I had way more control, I didn't mind
doing the little tiny hop while rolling to get onto the cranks. I then
started to do rolling hops onto things and realized I couldnt go higher
than a curb, and I couldn't hop forward at all. It took me about a
month to learn how to hop on the pedals again, the only time I come
even close now is if I am doing freestyle stuff or landing unispins,
but even that is as little as possible.

Crank hopping makes you dependent on the cranks which will make your
rolling hops, drops, and other forms of landing much much worse and
harder to become better at. Also something that I learned a few weeks
ago is that when you are landing on your cranks you can't absorb the
impact on landings as well so you will bottom out and get more pinch
flats.

--
ntappin