Old January 7th 05, 03:11 AM
Ted

"Will Fisher" wrote:

A few questions:

1. How tight should the chain be on a fixed gear? I try to push the
rear wheel back as hard as I can into the dropout but when I do a
trackstand, I can still feel the slack in the chain when I switch from
forward to backward pressure. The chain looks perfectly taut but
certaintly does not feel so.

Observation of your drivetrain while turning the pedals by hand will
make it obvious that the chain is not uniformly tight, due to small
eccentricity of either sprocket. Find the tightest spot and adjust the
axle position so that there is just a little (less than 0.5 inch)
vertical movement of the chain.

Do not attempt to make the chain as tight as you can. This will mean
that the chain will be even tighter at some point in the rotation and
that will lead to premature bearing failure.

If you like to have no slack in the chain, a tensioner will give the
closest approximation. But it does take away from the cool minimalism
of a fixie.

2. I ride in NYC where there are thousands of road obstacles (potholes,
manhole covers, etc.) and I'm finding the ride to be extremely harsh.
Any suggestions (e.g. a good fixed gear saddle)?

Fatter tires will make a BIG difference. If you are riding 23mm tires
now, try a pair of 28s if you have the clearance.

If your bike is a true track frame, it's gonna be harsh on the road, as
it is designed for a smooth track.

Saddles? A highly personal decision. A big ol' sprung saddle might
help with your ass, but not your hands, and such a saddle would be
offensive to my sense of taste on a fixie.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR