Old October 8th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default Handlebar diameters?

Chalo wrote:

Duncan Smith wrote:

The bars are Nitto Mod177AA noodle bar which is a a 26mm clamp size.
I see Nitto sell other bars, such as the randonneur, moustache,
B-123AA or Nitto B-2500AA courier bar

If you want to use proper controls, you'll need to switch to a proper
bar, like a flat, riser, North Road, trekking--- heck, just about any
kind of bar but a drop bar.

I just had a look at the Nitto "Courier" bar, which I was unfamiliar
with. It looks to be a mountain-bike-style bar with zero sweep-- just
a straight tube with a sleeve in the middle for the stem. As such, it
can use all the controls a mountain bike can use. But it is not
likely to be as comfortable as a bar that has more sweep. The Nitto
Albatross and Dove (or Goose, Chicken, Puffin...) bars are good
alternatives. And there are lots of choices from other makers, with
all sorts of sweeps from 3 degrees to 90 degrees.

I like the Dimension "Cruiser" bar, which is actually a North Road-
type bar with about 45 degrees of sweep, really long straight sections
that can be cut down to fit, and roughly 3.5" of rise/drop. It's
available at any shop that has an account with Quality Bicycle
Products.

Chalo