Old June 20th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bob syr

Default dry run to the markets

Cyclists -

Bike: Sun Retro-Alloy Cruiser. It’s a 3-speed with coaster brakes.
Today I took a dry run to the grocers and mall where I'll do most of
my shopping. There is one hill of which I still can’t get to the
top. I’d like to stand up to pedal, but I’m still quite large and I’m
afraid my chain will break.

Once I’m able to climb that hill, I’ll install my pannier baskets,
which weigh about 6 lbs and try a few more dry runs to the stores.
The baskets will be more or less permanently attached, so I might get
a used bike for exercise and fun riding. I like the 3-speed but maybe
I’ll try a 5-speed to get used to the up-to-date bike gears.

There’s another hill right by my house (at the top of the hill)
Lately I’ve been making it to the top of that one, but by then I’m in
the lowest gear and I’m almost to a full stop, not to mention out of
breath. I’d rather not get into that situation while away from
home.

Local buses now have bike racks and there’s a park in Liverpool with
great bike paths. And also you can ride along the Erie Canal for
endless water-level miles, from what I hear. I think the pannier
baskets will interfere with loading on bus and car racks, but I won’t
know ‘til I try it.

Happy riding,

Bob Syr
Syracuse, NY