Old July 29th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Default TdF and recumbents

Carl Sundquist wrote:

"Jon Bendtsen" wrote in message
Carl Sundquist wrote:

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
On Jul 29, 7:15 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

There is no recumbent that is 20% faster than an upright on the flats
everything else being equal. At best, it is possible that a
recumbent will
be only ever so slightly faster than an upright on the flats, but
even that
is debatable. What is not debatable is how freaking slow they are
climbing
hills, even small hills. Case closed as far as I am concerned.

I guess that sound is the my point whizzing over you head

Ed was never one to let things like mere facts confuse him...

However, if he bothered to look at the UCI hour record and the IHPVA
hour record he'd find a lot more than 20% difference.

Pete.

Now _that's_ mixing apples and oranges.

What is the _unfaired_ recumbent hour record?

I think it was 29.76 Miles, i saw a youtube of it today.
Which seems a little slower than the UCI hour record, but
maybe that is because the rider is not the same?

Ok. Now we're getting somewhere. I'd say that the unfaired recumbent
hour record is pretty darn remarkable. Did any noteworthy rider do it?

I dont know, look him up

Also, remember that there are two different UCI hour records: one for
traditional bikes at slighly over 50 kph and the "absolute" record at
slightly over 56 kph. Both were unfaired, but the traditional bike
requires use of only drop handlebars and a minimum of 24 spoked, regular
depth rims, and no aero helmet, perhaps no aero shoe covers either. The
absolute record allowed disk wheels, aero handlebars, and aero helmets.

i think the recumbent bike used disc wheels as well.