Old June 5th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.mountain-bike

Default "Mountain biking is no more damaging than other forms of recreation,including hiking."

Edward Dolan wrote:

Here is where SMS goes off the rails. Hiking trails are for hikers -
period!

They are not "hiking" trails, they are simply trails. I may not like
equestrians messing up the trails, and while hiking I may not like
bicycles on the trails, but hikers have no claim to exclusive use of the
trails, at least not based on impact to the trail or wildlife.

Nope, the above would never work in a million years. Try to get real why
don't you?

It works very well for water sports. Personally I don't think it's all
that big a deal, but some hikers like MV have lost all connection with
reality when it comes to mountain bikes on trails.

Vandeman is heavily into the impact on trails (erosion,etc.) from mountain
biking. I think he is probably the expert on that subject.

Oh please. If he's the expert, he would certainly have at least _one_
study, _one_ reference to support his position. He doesn't have
anything. He's good at ranting, but he has no facts or logic to support
his position.

I am not that
concerned with that particular aspect of it. I am concerned about mountain
bikers being on the trails without any right to be there.

Yet in case after case, mountain bikers have prevailed in defending
their right to be on the trails, and parks continue to open more trails
to bicyclists. In most cases, the park management has done a good job in
their trail designations.

I will side with Vandeman no matter how many so-called studies show contrary
results to his.

Of course you will. Facts and logic have no meaning to you. You base
everything on emotion. "You can't have a debate with someone who is
willing to make up the facts."