Old October 23rd 17, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Lithium Ion vs NiMh battery

On 10/22/2017 11:19 PM, James wrote:
On 23/10/17 10:42, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Dynamo hubs are out for me because I use my light on a number of
different bicycles depending on what any particular ride is for. It'd
cost me afortune to a dynamo hub on all of my bikes.

A first world problem of too many bicycles.

Whenever I have to replace a wheel on a mid-range bicycle then I will
get a dynamo hub wheel. The cost differential is about $50 for a wheel
with a 3W Shimano or Sanyo dynamo. For a high-end dynamo (SP) you're
looking at another $150, but I have not had any issues with the
lower-end dynamos.

But I have to say, with my Lezyne 1500 lumen light, with internal
batteries and USB rechargeable, the need for a dynamo is greatly
reduced. I bought extra mounts and put them on multiple bicycles. A
dynamo light alone is not sufficient for most urban riding in the U.S..