Old May 15th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Lights without batteries?

Steve Watkin wrote:
Any one got any knowledge of these?
http://www.goodbyebatteries.com/

They look too good to be true, and if they look like that they normally
are!!

About the size of it. You can do this Properly, with a hub dynamo
system, but that will cost you at least £50 for the unit (probably more)
plus the associated wheel build costs, and then more for the lamps
themselves to run off it.

So that's not a cheap option, but IMHO it's well worth it on a utility
machine. I run hub dynamos (Schmidt SONs, about £110 each) on my tourer
and folder and the Other Half has a Schmidt on her tourer and a Shimano
Ultegra unit (£60) on her hack bike. No regrets spending the money for
any of them. The Shmidt is a bit nicer but the Shimano works very well
and it gives you most of the bangs for half the bucks.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK