Old December 9th 17, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

--
JS

Instead of thinking how far up the road you want to see in therms of distance, consider that you want to illuminate the next minute of mental processing for yourself, and at least 15 seconds for observers seeing you. If I light up the next quarter mile downrange nicely, which then lights up to more than a mile way downrange for seeing signs and other vehicles, and light to the side and down on the street several times brighter than any other light on the market, then I'm in the high performance car headlight level of illumination. Doing it without blinding oncoming drivers like a high end car lowbeam, literally makes Oculus as good and in some ways better than having a high performance car headlight on your handlebar, helmet, aerobar, stem, hand, magnetically on the roof of your police car, anywhere else you might want to shine light from.

With apologies, sorry that sometimes posting onto these threads sounds like a promo, but what if my designs really are the greatest thing in LED lighting since the white LED took over from HID and the most efficient light source for projected lighting?

One vagueness in distance claims is that they don't give a brightness threshold, even state laws don't require a minimum lux amount. Think about that little white dot you see on the ground from 10000 feet, ~two miles high, from car and streetlights,when up in an airplane or even 2000 feet like when up on Skyline looking down on the Bay area.
If you have an L&M light with those yellow side markers, remove the translucent yellow plastic inserts. That white now coming out is much brighter and more visible.
How about a 2 lux minimum from 25 meters to the side? Only Oculus qualifies. How about 5 lux at 1/4 mile, both straight ahead and 20 degree sideways? Oculus, and some much more expensive brands that need separate battery packs.
This is where Beam lumens becomes painfully necessary as an accurate tool for the "usable visibility" of a light, versus a raw lumen or lux number. The higher the lumens to max lux ratio, the more even the beam, and the greater field of view that user's brain will be able to process, and the observer will notice as relevant to watch out for or navigate around.
My Oculus Extreme and Ultra three LED models approach this with a beam target filling the users central vision in the center and to the sides evenly, and a soft transition to the edge of the beam filling out the sideways and downward field of view in an approximately 8 wide to 13 downrange proportion. My ray traces shown on the Learn More page on the Oculus website have literally no center spot, virtually no red dots at all, yet accomplished with additive effects instead of cutoffs and blinders. If you're into optics, you know that this is the holy grail of efficiency if you're designing a projected beam.
With efficiency, that lets me make a battery operated light that renders most needs or reasons for generator lights as obsolete. With only one battery change at a 6.5 hour burn time bright with beam wide and even enough to win a World 24 Hour Time Trial Championship on, and 36 hour burn time for climbing and extra long distance touring, Oculus makes it well worth revisiting and reconsidering if the reasons given by generator aficionados still hold water.
As always, I invite comparison of any other light you want to compare side by side with Oculus for any given level of brightness and battery burn time.