Old December 16th 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 15:34:07 +1100, James
wrote:

They also have real world beam shots, but of course no competitor's
lights for comparison. Note that the headlight I have illuminates the
wall in their photo out to 45m ahead.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/produkt/1752qsndi.html?

On the above page is a photo:
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium.jpg
One look at the nearly perfect columns and the rather odd road
surface, and I immediately suspected that there's been some serious
editing. If you look at the EXIF data with the photo with your
favorite photo editor, it includes:

Filename - 80 Lux - Ausleuchtung IQ-Premium.jpg
Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D800
Software - Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
DateTime - 2017-08-25T15:13:11+02:00
Artist - Thomas von der Heiden
Copyright - musikfotografie.de
etc...

So, it's a professionally done photograph edited with Photoshop,
possibly to "add" the columns as well as the obvious distance markers.
My guess(tm) is that this was originally taken outdoors on a proper
road surface, and the markers, columns, ceiling, and road surface were
all Photoshopped.

Enlarging the "wall" ahead shows that it's a very large white bed
sheet, suspended perfectly from something in the ceiling, with the
lower edge laying perfectly flat on the pavement. The lanes in
Germany are about 3.7 meters wide, so the white bed sheet would need
to be about 10 meters long and 4 meters high. The light on the bed
sheet shows no shadows from the "folds" in the bed sheet.

The light area near the base of the columns is really odd. I would
expect the intensity to fade (following inverse square law) into the
distance. It doesn't.

The distance markers seem to show that the distance between columns is
5 meters. That works up to the 20 meter marker, but fails in the
distance, where the spacing works out to more like 10 meters between
columns.

I would expect to see something lit up in the distance beyond the
columns. Nope. The light stops dead in it tracks after passing the
columns.

Methinks the entire photo is a Photoshop fake.

When I tried to false color the lighting on the roadway, the results
were rather weird and did not look like anything I've ever seen on any
of the other photos (mostly from Peter White's site) that I've
tinkered with. I'm not sure, but it's possible that even the lighted
roadway area was tweaked. I'll post something later today. I'm
playing with the newer ImageJ2 and want to write some better
instructions.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D