Old August 25th 19, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default WTB Suntour CYCLONE BB Spindle

On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 11:16:11 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 10:31:32 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/24/2019 12:00 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/24/2019 9:27 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 10:26:14 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here have a decent Suntour CYCLONE bottom bracket spindle
they're willing to sell? I have NOS bottom bracket cups for it.

Cheers

Out of curiosity - why would you use an old and not very efficient way
to do things then you could buy a normal cartridge BB that will last
you the rest of your life since it is sealed to keep dirt out?

I run loose-ball forged steel spindles in all my own bikes.
People weigh all sorts of factors and make reasonable choices for their
own applications as they see fit.

I've got a mix. But I've had sealed BB units fail, about as often as
loose ball units. Both have failed seldom, but in my limited experience,
it's not a night and day difference.

To me, BBs have always been a wear item. Some wear longer than others, but I've never had the same BB on a bike from the beginning of its life until the end. Some cartridge designs were horrid, like ISIS. I went through those like Kleenex. Octalink was O.K. but not great. Prior UN square drive were fairly robust. PW was robust, although I broke the center collar on one of those and had both crak arms facing forward -- which is probably a marketable invention now. I would get pitting or bad cup wear in opening bearing BBs. In the PNW, sealed bearings are nice but wiper seals are certainly not perfect. You can pull those off and find a nice, dry bearing -- hopefully not corroded.

-- Jay Beattie.

I have Record BB's here that are 35 years old. Is that what you call a wear item? And for 3 years before I had my concussion I was riding over 10,000 miles a year.