Old September 3rd 19, 09:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Does anything dissolve paint thinner

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 12:51:02 AM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 04:46:28 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 02:43:20 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

AK wrote:
I found a more environmentally clean option.

Homemade water based cleaner recipe that worked well in a sprayer bottle.

8 oz. water
1 Tbsp Vinegar
1 Tbsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Dish Soap

Leave out the vinegar and baking side and I bet it will work just as well,
just not put on as much of a show.

The vinegar and baking soda reaction will produce quite a bit of foam,
where the collapsing bubbles might simulate the cavitation from an
ultrasonic cleaner. I've never tried it, but it might improve the
detergent action of the soap without the need for an ultrasonic
cleaner.

"homemade ultrasonic cleaning solution"
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=124786
1) plain old white vinegar
2) salt
3) baking soda
4) lemonshine
5) citric acid
6) lemon juice
7) Birchwood Casey brass cleaner
Notice the vinegar and baking soda in the recipe.

I understand the concept, but I can’t imagine the collapsing bubbles
imparting any substantial amount of physical scrubbing action.

The cavitation produced by the collapsing bubbles is capable of
pitting soft metals. However, there are no soft metals on a bicycle
chain, so I guess it's safe.

Ultrasonic Cleaning
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_cleaning
Ultrasonic cleaning uses cavitation bubbles induced
by high frequency pressure (sound) waves to agitate a liquid.
The agitation produces high forces on contaminants adhering
to substrates like metals, plastics, glass, rubber, and
ceramics. This action also penetrates blind holes, cracks,
and recesses. The intention is to thoroughly remove all
traces of contamination tightly adhering or embedded onto
solid surfaces.

Seems (to me) similar to the bubbling action of vinegar and baking
soda. However, there's one important difference. The ultrasonic
cleaner delivers quite a bit of energy to force the soap solution to
produce bubbles, while the vinegar and soda mix has much less chemical
energy. At some point during the chemical reaction, the vinegar and
soda mix might approach the energy level of the ultrasonic cleaner,
but for very long.

Maybe the
expanding bubbles might force the soap solution deeper into parts, but at
that dilution ratio, and considering that you’re supposed to mix it
together in a spray bottle BEFORE using it, I have low hopes. If I had to
come up with a homemade EZ-Clean solution, I would use dish soap and
boiling water.

I currently don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. However, I do have a
two stage vacuum pump and chamber (modified pressure cooker). I use
it mostly for getting the bubbles out of resin molds and epoxy potting
compound. However, when the chamber is filled with water, I can make
it cold boil by simply reducing the atmospheric pressure. I have no
idea what will happen, but a little soap in the water might be a good
way to clean things without the risk of melting something from hot
water at atmospheric pressure. (Yet another project).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

I have an ultrasonic cleaner because of my experience using it in a lab.

It is capable of heating the solution up to about 180 degrees F.

I use a cleaning solution of ammonia, dish soap and water.

I could use it to clean my chain, but I do not feel like taking the chain off.

:-)

Andy