Old December 5th 17, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default BBB-41 Powerlock Bicycle Lock

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 05:04:22 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Given that many of the commercial "bicycle
locks" can be rather easily cut with hand
tools

This cannot in reasonable time unless there is
a hand tool and/or method I'm unfamiliar with.
There is something with the plastic that
prevents you from getting the power down to the
wire. If you keep at it, you'll succeed
eventually, of course, but no thief will do
that out in the open to get a bike of this
(monetary) value.

Try a 4 inch angle grinder with a 1mm cut-off wheel. You can cut a
cable about as fast as you can push the grinder.

But I think that you last point is the important one. "A bike of this
value". I live about 500 mtrs from a subway station and there are
always a number of bicycles tied up to posts in the area. Very
noticeable they are all old, dirty, grungy, things that no body would
want. Some aren't even locked. I've yet to see a $3,000 carbon fiber
racing bike parked there :-)

I have always considered bicycle locking
devices as something the prevent a casual
thief from stealing the bicycle

It prevents the everyday drunk/messed up kid
from just rolling away with it. With this kind
of lock, that can't happen and for the
determined thief with tools etc there are many
other bikes right nearby which will be much
less work.

--
Cheers,

John B.