Old August 21st 03, 11:04 PM
Mark Sullivan

Default Strange fatigue again...? (long)

I don't disagree with anything said. However this is a good place to get
advice about bottom brackets, training etc. In your case you have a health
problem and you need to get yourself to a doctor and have a blood test.

The reason Men live ten years less than Women is partly because we get
health advice from our "mates" rather than a doctor.

Get your medicare card and get on your bike!

"hippy" wrote in message
(x-posted: aus.bicycle, rec.bicycles.misc)

I've written about this before but it happened again
and it was worse than previous occasions so I'm
posting about it again.

From last weekend:
Sat: Solo 52k on new mtb singlespeed (32/15 gearing = hard)
Sun: Solo 100k on roadbike except fast Beach Rd. bit in
middle swapping turns with someone in Fitzroy Cycles kit into
strong headwind. Really pushed hard at the end too, to get
under 4hrs. (hard)
Mon: 26k each way commute on singlespeed (hard)
Tue: 26k x 2 commute on 'normal' mtb after nearly losing
manhood on toptube after throwing the chain on
singlespeed! (easy?)
Wed: 26k in-bound on normal mtb at easy pace, no problems...

On the way home wed night though, about 15 minutes and 5k's
into the ride I was feeling totally light-headed and dizzy. My
body felt strange and "light" also. Not fatigued like "I've done
100k and now my legs feel like lead" fatigued, it was a strange
'lack of energy' all over body weakness. It felt like I was going
to fall asleep and I was in the granny ring doing, like 15kph or
something!
Now, if you know me, you'll know that I don't stop during
rides, basically ever. In three years commuting I would have
stopped a ride maybe 10 times due to punctures or meeting
somone I knew and chatting.
You'd also know that there is no way in hell I'd ever pay the
over inflated service station prices for anything...
Well, I was so weak, I had to sit down on the footpath for
10mins!
To get going again, I bought some chocolate from a servo..
now that's totally against normal behaviour for me, but like I
said, my body had this strange wash of numbness over it and
I just couldn't go on without doing something about it - like
resting and eating.
Now, you might be thinking "oh, well you bonked" and I
would think the same thing, but I've done a long ride with no
food before and know what that bonk was like for me - "I
don't want to continue, someone just come and drive me
home!" and then I eat and wait and i'm all good again. This
was different with the whole light-headedness and I still
wanted to ride, just couldn't.
Also, I'd eaten stacks that day! I was scoffing those new
Milo breakfast cereal flakes straight from the box all
afternoon! (I am a freak when it comes to food consumption
though.. no wonder I'm a fatty!).
Anyway after the rest and the snack I felt a bit better and
ended up riding home, in a reasonable time minus the stop.

So, I know I've asked this before and I'll probably get similar
answers (lack of food, etc) but are there any other possibilities?
How much does lack of sleep effect your performance over
time?
How much sleep do most people get anyway? We are
supposed to get 8-10 hours a day but does anyone even get
near that?!

Thanks for any suggestions!
hippy ( not the ganja smoking, acid munching variety either! ;-) )