Old May 9th 09, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

On Fri, 08 May 2009, Marc wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:
On Fri, 08 May 2009, Marc wrote:

"Doug you are moron!"
"You are a closet motorist!"
"Dugh's right"

Which of the above are "personal abuse"?

1 is
2 may be, dependant on context
3 is not

I don't think you should apply for the job as moderator

1 is

So you agree with me.

2 Dugh means as one

I think that doesn't necessarily make it one, but more significantly
you didn't specify that Doug made the posting, or that the poster
intended it to be so. So, what you are saying is that it depends on
context - so you agree with me.

3 Doug regards Dugh as personal abuse.

You did not specify that the post was directed at Doug. The
recipient's opinion does not necessarily trump all other
considerations.

So, what you seem to be saying is that I cannot be moderator because
you agree with me exactly on two thirds of decisions, and on the
remaining third you had in mind a situation you did not describe.

Besides which, I have no intention or desire to be moderator. It is a
thankless task and a role I consider to be unnecessary.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|