Old March 21st 18, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Hey this is not stupid

On 3/21/2018 5:23 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 12:48:57 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Clever design:
https://cyclingindustry.news/veercyc...to-the-masses/

I like it. Therefore, something must be wrong:

https://www.veercycle.com/products/belt-riveter
"A customized handheld riveter for Split Belt bike conversions.
This tool is required for sealing the belt splice. Easily clinch
the rivet ends to secure them permanently in the belt teeth."

Permanently? So, once I put the belt together with a $30 tool, I have
to grind off the pin heads in order to remove the belt?

How do I deal with different lengths of belt? The V shaped splice
means that belts need to be stock by loop length (or whatever it's
called). Or, maybe a belt tensioner and pulley as in the CAD
rendering:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1649/3971/files/Eagle_REsize_large.jpg?v=1520473135
The various parts of the drive train look rather customized, which
implies that the belt would require replacing almost all the moving
parts for a retrofit.

The V thing only solves half the problem by making it easy to
assemble. It does nothing for changing, replacing, or repairing the
belt.

As usual, no numbers, no test results, no photos of real bicycles, no
prices, no availability, and no claims that it will solve every
problem from pimples to global warming. As far as I can tell, this is
a concept design.

I still like the idea, just not as much as when I first saw it.

Yep, once I went deeper into the web page that was clear but
still it is not stupid. Not yet perfect maybe but cool in
its own way.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/