Old September 21st 18, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Peugeot PX-10 max cog size?

On 9/21/2018 2:55 PM, wrote:
On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 12:45:50 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
A friend has a vintage Peugeot PX-10, once upon a time nicely upgraded
with Phil Woods axles and BB. He is heavily into MTB, home-made electric
bikes and stuff and I have a hard time convincing him to fix up his road
bike. IOW, the bike doesn't need much other than new shifter handles, a
new freewheel and new tires. However, he doesn't want to put a lot of
effort and money into that.

The corn cob freewheels don't work in our hilly area for us, ahem, older
guys. What is the largest cog size a PX-10 can take without installing a
new derailer?

My old Shimano 600 was said to max out at 28T but I got it to easily
shift up to 32T by moving the wheel slightly forward in the dropout
slots. AFAIK that isn't possible on a PX-10 because it has short slots.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The real question is where in the hell do you get French freewheels with more than 28 tooth large cogs.

I was able to convert some to 8 speeds from 7's and the one thing you really need is a compact crank and not that absolutely horrible 52/48 like Jobst used to ride. He used to climb in a 48-19 and while he made it look easy he also moved at a snail's pace up hills.

That in turn is a possible but expensive change to a bike with French threaded BB.

And just between you and me, the PX-10 had really good geometry but the tubing was a rubber band.

Phil FW hubs are all and only BSC thread, not French metric.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/