Old September 21st 18, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Peugeot PX-10 max cog size?

On 2018-09-21 13:39, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/21/2018 2:46 PM, Joerg wrote:
A friend has a vintage Peugeot PX-10, once upon a time
nicely upgraded with Phil Woods axles and BB. He is heavily
into MTB, home-made electric bikes and stuff and I have a
hard time convincing him to fix up his road bike. IOW, the
bike doesn't need much other than new shifter handles, a new
freewheel and new tires. However, he doesn't want to put a
lot of effort and money into that.

The corn cob freewheels don't work in our hilly area for us,
ahem, older guys. What is the largest cog size a PX-10 can
take without installing a new derailer?

My old Shimano 600 was said to max out at 28T but I got it
to easily shift up to 32T by moving the wheel slightly
forward in the dropout slots. AFAIK that isn't possible on a
PX-10 because it has short slots.

How vintage is it? A 1960s through late 1970s PX10 has very long ends
and a Simplex Criterium can span a 28FW with the Stronglight 63 or 93
crank's 38t low front ring.

Thanks. With long slots it might even accept 32T. That's what my bike
did even though everyone told me it wouldn't (1982 Gazelle Trim Trophy
frame). I rode 28T max for a while but found that on some hills I am
simply too old for that. Or ... ahem ... too old and too heavy.

1980s PX10 has standard ends and can take a modern $15 rear changer.
Ugly, but fits and then you could go to a 34FW

I'd have to ask him but likely it is an 80's model. Ugly wouldn't matter
to him and $15 is palatable.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/