Old October 4th 04, 12:02 PM
pam_in_sc

Roger Zoul wrote:
pam_in_sc wrote:
|| Hey Roger--did you have a good ride? I did the 62 and had a
|| wonderful time. It took me 5 1/1 hours, but I did stop and eat a
|| hamburger, as I got a fairly late start (about 8:45) and I don't do
|| well if I postpone lunch too late. I kept looking for you to pass
|| me in the area where the 100 had rejoined the 62. I was actually
|| surprised there weren't more riders--I heard about 250. My ride
|| account is on my blog at: http://deeplanguage.blogspot.com/

Hi Pam! I was wondering about you. I left out at 8 am because I had a date
planned for later that evening and needed to get home and get ready and
stuff.

All was going great until about mile 50 or so. I started noticing cramps.
Then, at about mile 80, back at the rest stop where the 66 and 100 split, I
quit. The cramps were just too much for me to continue. Right before
getting to the rest stop I had to get off the bike due to the cramps -- in
both legs, too. At that point, I had done about 4380 feet of elevation gain,
out of about 5500 according to Richard Hare. I thought about perhaps trying
to continue, but it would have been unfair to the volunteers for me to be
fooling around out there.

So, I got about 80 miles and 4380 feet of climbing. The elevation gain is
the most I've done yet, by about 1100 feet or so. I've only been over 80
once, too (last week). All in all, I knew I was shooting, and I guess I
over-reached.

So I sagged twice this year - once at the Tigerville BBQ Trek (I could have
avoided that one) and one this one! I started riding last September. I
completed the NAMI (35 miles) and Tour De Paws (metric), though.

I never saw those 250 people though. I got dropped by the peloton after
about 1.5 hours into my ride. Those guys flew by when I was going around 18
mph or so. They were cutting so close I could not help but wonder if there
knew who there were zooming by (a noob!). I could have took out a bunch of
folks with domino action! Others started catching up at the other rest
stops, but I would have guess about 150 or so. Some of them recognized me
from other rides, since I'm always wearing my hi-vis green socks! I'm hard
not to notice

BTW, I'm still hurting. I was cramping all yesterday evening, too.

I was looking for those green socks! It sounds like to accomplished a
new personal record in the climbing anyway, even if you didn't go the
whole way.

Pam