Old February 13th 11, 03:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Cycling and the new disabled

On 13/02/2011 9:05 AM, Andrew Price wrote:
Was at the bikeshop at the end of the universe on Friday.

The proprietor knows a bit about fitting our species onto two wheels and so
assisting the disabled is one of his specialities.

So I meet Troy, lost a leg in an accident, kept cycling afterwards in a
modified recumbent where the chain wheels are powered by his arms. Seems he
might be a bit good at it, holds several championships/records, trains
others at the AIS and has an upper body that would make a weight training
gym junky look puny.

Reminds me of that fellow I saw at the 2010 Sydney to Gong Ride. He
looked perfectly normal, you know, two arms, two legs, except he had
what looked like a very low-slung recumbent powered by his arms.

I remembered being told by one of your "species" a long time to give no
quarter as he intended to give me none himself. So I rode past this
fellow on the uphill at Scarborough.

The embarrassing thing for me was that he finished only about 25minutes
behind! I suppose I could have gone up to him later on and shook him by
the neck for embarrassing me but his upper body developement was such
that I doubt if I was strong enough to constrict those neck muscles of
his. And he'd probably snap my neck in return with two fingers!!!