Old February 22nd 14, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default 9 speed shimano dura ace STIs with 11 speed dura ace mechs and brakes

"Graham" wrote:
I might have the chance of picking up a very nice new bike for a very
reasonable price. The only drawback is that it comes kitted out with a
dura ace 11 speed groupset. Unfortunately my bike stable and wheel
collection are all 9 speed and I would like to maintain the
interchangeabilty this gives me. In fact I cannot see me ever needing to
go beyond 9 speed as most of my bikes will probably outlive me.

My question is therefore will the 11 speed front and rear mechs and the
brakes work quite happily if I swap the dura ace 11 speed STIs for one of
my 9 speed dura ace sets. Will the 11 speed chainset also work quite
happily along with a 9 speed chain. If this is the case the bike will
move from a being very reasonable to an excellent price as I can sell the
STIs and the wheel set and utilise my existing STIs and wheels.

Graham.

I think you'll have problems trying to fit a 9 speed chain on an 11 speed
cassette.

Out of curiosity only why is this such a requirement? I only have a
couple bikes and most of the drive train parts are not interchangeable but
this hasn't really been an issue.

--
duane