Old May 8th 17, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default All's not fair in love and science

On Sun, 7 May 2017 14:02:37 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

Doctors are ethically prohibited from treating immediate
family members, subject to certain exceptions.
http://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/...oet1-1205.html
So your friend's daughter at least has an excuse for not
treating her father.

This was not about treating her father. It was about discussing a
medical situation, doing a sanity check, or asking for suggestions as
to what to do next. I can see why treating family members is a bad
idea, but this was a total blackout of any communications involving
medical issues.

My sister is an accountant (among other things), and she does pro
bono tax returns for poor people, which always seemed odd --
endless 1040 EZ forms? But, as it turns out, she does a lot of
returns for illegal immigrants in Sonoma County (grape pickers,
among others), and they have odd issues -- like paying into
our Social Security system. They get a special "look the
other way" number, and just like a roach motel, the money
goes in, but it doesn't come out -- except to current citizen
retirees. And now that Trump is cracking the whip on illegal
immigration, the grape growers are have trouble getting their
grapes picked. The legals won't pick grapes for $16/hr.
https://www.marketplace.org/2017/03/...-farm-wages-go

Employers are required to collect withholding and unemployment
insurance from employees. For illegals, they pay into the system, but
without a social security number and history, they can't pay taxes or
collect benefits. My father owned a lingerie factory in Smog Angeles
and had similar problems. It was common to have 5 or more employees
using the same social security number. I have no idea if they
actually were able to collect on this scheme, or how the various
government agencies managed to untangle the mess.
"IRS Admits It Encourages Illegals To Steal Social Security Numbers
For Taxes"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2016/04/13/irs-admits-it-encourages-illegals-to-steal-social-security-numbers-for-taxes/

An aquaintence runs a local landscaping business. He was criticized
in the papers for not hiring anglo workers or students to do the grunt
work. He wrote a reply, which was printed, indicating that he had
tried to hire anglos and students, but nobody would work for the wages
offered. That was about 10 years ago, long before the current
administration.

A friends son is doing his masters thesis on modeling the US economy
if everything was produced and manufacturered domestically using
domestic labor. It's not done, but the preliminary scribblings I've
read sounded like my worst economic nightmare.

Does your sister do taxes for the rest of the family? I'm just
curious. I know one accountant who refuses to do taxes for his two
sons. His logic is that it's something the kids need to learn while
the dollar amounts are still small, so that they will understand how
taxes work when they begin making more money. My father gave me the
same "advice". I think it worked.

I told my son he could pick grapes in Napa for $40K a year with
benefits, but he wasn't interested. Slacker!

Presumably, he considered what he would do after his back gave out or
if we had another drought. I did some stoop labor while in college.
The local growers would hire extra help during the harvest. I lasted
about 3 days.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D