Old April 21st 07, 10:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Westie

Default Rules of the Trail...my own private list

Paladin wrote:
On Apr 4, 6:15 am, "Corvus Corvax" wrote:
On Apr 4, 1:42 am, "Paladin" wrote:

Dear D____, snip

Very nice list. But...

8. Always wear a helmet, and insist that other riders
do, too, especially your kids. One day I yelled
across a canyon telling a rider to wear a helmet.
Half an hour later I was patching up a deep bleeding
gash in his chin that could have been avoided with a
helmet.

How exactly would a helmet have prevented a chin injury? You guys must
wear yours a little differently up in Idaho...

CC

You know how it is, you can't please everybody...

This was a wierd , and it looked to me (who showed up slightly
later) and to those who were with the guy when it happened, that based
on the shape of the rock he fell into, even the small lip of an
overhanging helmet would have protected him from getting cut open.
Pretty ironic that 5 or 10 minutes before his crash I was
"encouraging" him to get a helmet.

Although not biking related, my wife lost four top front teeth after a
fall from a horse at a young age (it's marvelous what they can do with
implants!) Judging by the damage to the helmet, the helmet that she was
wearing probably prevented a more substantial portion of her face from
being stoved in.
shrug
You can't always control what part of your body is going to impact first
but any protection is better than none in my opinion.
--
Westie