Old September 17th 18, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW ?(IN THE UNITED STATESOF AMERICA)

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 4:23:59 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:24:11 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 3:43:48 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 11/09/18 14:29, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 14:11:48 +1000, James
wrote:

On 11/09/18 10:34, Andre Jute wrote:

About separate facilities for cyclists: where are the votes in it?
Even less likely is votes for making automobiling less convenient in
favour of cyclists; it's a non-starter.

There are more votes in it now than there have been since ... forever,
and growing. The votes come from the inner city dwelling
environmentalists we call "Greenies", who shun the stinky tailpipe of
automobiles in favour of cleaner and healthier active transport.

Sure they have dreadlocks, eat mung beans and fart like there's no
tomorrow, but they also vote.

Councillor Sri is a Greens party man.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...cc955fd0f65f5c

Your reference shows up as an offer to furnish me news for 50 cents a
day, no mention of Greenies.

I think this is the same article but from another site.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Brisbane.html

--
JS

I don't think that the people on this group really appreciate the numbers of cyclists there are in the larger

cities around the world. In India alone there is an estimated
330,000,000 bicycles owned and used daily.

In New York City the daily trips depend heavily upon weather but have a high of around 62,000 trips PER DAY.

In New York city there are over 5 million people ride the transit
network each weekday. So, 62,000 / 5 million = 1.2%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transp...City#Ridership

This is rapidly increasing in the San Francisco bay area as more bicycle lanes are installed. They would increase even more rapidly if there were some bicycle lanes on the San Francisco/Oakland bay bridge and the San Mateo Bridge.

The costs of owning, insuring and operating a car today is so high that anyone that can avoid those costs is doing so in order to have a better apartment.

--
Cheers

John B.

Does that in some manner change the fact that driving is getting too expensive and riding the Metro for crying out loud is getting so disgusting that anyone that even thinks they are athletic is trying to find better and cheaper ways to work? I think I said it here already but I'll repeat it - when I drive to Palo Alto Medial Canter twice a year for my neurologist it takes me 2 hours and increasing with each trip. To ride my bike to almost the same location takes me an hour and a half.