Old November 13th 18, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Riddle[_2_]

Default Chain Lube?

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 20:05:43 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 5:09:05 PM UTC-8, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 16:25:35 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-11-12 16:17, Ralph Barone wrote:
John B. slocomb wrote:

I wonder whether this product might not be a useful chain lube
https://tinyurl.com/yc8dwzfp

cheers,

John B.

It looks pricey, but molybdenum disulphide is a great, albeit messy dry
lubricant.

Yes, that looks like it could become the most expensive chain lube ever.
Do they have real gold flakes in there? I can't imagine a can lasting
more than 4-5 lubes. You could buy a new chain instead where the factory
lube lasts like 2-3 normal lube intervals.

Good Lord! A cyclist worrying about prices? Impossible!

After all a TREK Madone SLR 9 Disc eTap starts at a mere
$12,299,99.... But of course, that's a road bike and everyone knows
that those who actually ride a bicycle on a public road are... well, a
bit on the stupid side. Imagine, ignoring all those dangerous
automobiles...

In contrast, the mountain bikers, a sport that originated with a bunch
of guys who rode old second, third, fourth hand, bikes that even the
riders referred to as "Klunkers", can now rejoice in a brand new TREK
Top Fuel 9.9 SL, for a paltry $9,299.99.

And you want to ignore an almost magical product that markets for a
mere $44.77 (plus shipping) ?
cheers,

Plus, it provides "permanent" lubrication:

"Suitable for the permanent lubrication of highly stressed sliding guides with low sliding speeds, oscillating movements or intermittent operation. Used successfully for cylinder-head bolts, toaster guides, car mirror adjustment mechanisms, high voltage switches, for the running-in of highly stressed gear wheels."

You spray it on your chain once, and you're done for life. Awesome!

-- Jay Beattie.

My Dad use to use this on our trailers' swaybars. It is a little
messy.

Cheers