Old November 4th 04, 11:22 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:49:17 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Badger_South wrote:

|| tilting it, this bike will -not- track straight; thus I can not ride
|| it without hands, and you -need- to be able to ride no hands when
|| you're going over 90 minutes to two hours, imo.

Huh? How'd you get that opinion?

That's so you can sit up and stretch your back, change your gloves, get
somthing out of you back jersey pocket. I used to be able to ride for 5-10
min at a time no hands, totally stable on my old steel Sears&Robuck
schwinn-style twelve-speed.

Most old timers will say 'sheesh, if you're not in a race, pull over sit
and eat'.

But guess what? At some point you'll want to eat on the bike or change your
gloves or shirt, and if you don't practice it, you won't be able to do it.

It's also nice, if you need to clean your glasses, and you've brought some
tissue, after a rain storm.

Part of bike handling 101 regardless; iow, you may never -need- to use that
skill, but you should have it and be comfortable doing it, imo.

I picked 90" to 2 hours as the point at which some ppl start eating and
drinking during the ride. You say 3 hours, I don't disagree.

-B