Old October 9th 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/9/2019 2:37 AM, John B. wrote:

The problem with all the "solutions" is that they are usually not
strictly enforced.

Exactly.

snip

The secret was, they enforced the law, rigorously.

That works. And you don't need to do it continuously, just enough for
people to get the message, and then do periodic enforcement.

A few weeks ago I told my City Manager that I was really annoyed at all
the illegally placed "Open House" signs. They were in bike lanes,
blocking sidewalks, blocking wheelchair and stroller ramps, etc.. But
because this happens mostly on the weekend, when we don't have enough
Code Enforcement people on duty, they get away with it.

The City Manager authorized some overtime pay and there were 62
illegally placed signs collected. The fine is minuscule, but it's a
hassle for the agents to go pick up their signs.

The next weekend, there were almost no illegally placed signs in our
city, though the neighboring cities still have the problem.