Old December 15th 03, 03:27 PM
Claire Petersky

Default cleaning bikes in the winter

"Doug Purdy" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

4) take the indor-outdor out of the laundry room and try washing
there

I dk what "indor-outdor" is. However, since we replaced cheap crappy vinyl
in the kitchen with bamboo, I now clean (not wash) my bike in the laundry
room. I also tried it in the bathroom, but it was just too cramped in there.

3) clean on the bike & use a mat or plastic sheet to avoid
degreaser damage to floor walls & furniture

I do this, only with newspapers.

The bike doesn't need to be "washed". Wait for all the crap on it to dry,
then rub it off. Mud, fir needles (fir needles! Millions of them! I think
they're all gone, and there's still more!) all just come off with your rag.

Stripping and lubing the drive train can be done with a bucket, a bunch of
rags, degreaser, and a toothbrush. This newsgroup converted me to weekly
bike cleaning. In fact, I was supposed to do it this weekend, and plan not
to ride this morning because I didn't get around to it (my punishment for
procrastination). My drivetrain on Friday sounded like it is running through
sandpaper. Yeah, I could dab some lube on it right now and go, but then I'd
just be working the grit more effectively and deeper into the parts of the
bike. If you don't clean it regularly when it sounds like that, you'll have
to replace your cassette, cogs, and chain much more frequently.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky