Old November 27th 11, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
ARWadsworth

Default Cyclists 'urged to get insurance'

Simon Mason wrote:
If you want my 2 Euros worth, they're both as bad as one another and
the concept that one is automatically presumed guilty in the event
of an incident, irrespective of facts, is a joke.

Agreed.
If I cocked up on my bike and a car hit me through no fault of their
own, I would hold my hand up and admit I was at fault.
As a driver myself I would hate to have the blame pinned on me
automatically and in reality I can't see that directive ever becoming
taken up in the UK. Holland perhaps, but not here.

That's a bit of a reasonable approach isn't it?

I actually saw two cyclists in two seperate accidents on Friday.

The first accident was the car drivers fault. The second was the cyclists
fault and there were no ifs or buts as to who was to blame (although I am
sure the solicitors would disagree).

Both accidents were with 30m of each other and involved one of the countrys
****tiest cycle lanes. If you are going to install a cycle lane then at
least do it properly so that it can be used safely.

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
carrot *