Old December 21st 03, 06:32 PM
Paul - xxx

Default Private members bill on cycle helmet compulsion.

Ian posted ...

Mike Sales scribed with passion and wit:

Eric Martlew, Labour M.P. for Carlisle has won seventh place in the
lottery for Private Members Bills and is putting before Parliament a
BeHIT Bill making cycle helmets compulsory for children under 16.
See
http://www.cyclenetwork.org.uk/latest/latest.html#bill

Mike Sales

For the avoidance of doubt, despite my pro-helmet stance, I have
written to my M.P. stating my objection to this bill on the grounds
of the false information used to support it, but stating that I would
be prepared to support this bill if real information was used and if
it included a fully researched minimum standards policy for helmet
manufacture based on proper development rather that whacking the
helmet with a bronze ball.

Nice, well-reasoned arguments ... ~

But if kids can already get away with all manner of much more serious crimes
then I fear that any legislation would be unworkable in practice.

But I reckon it's stil worth doing what we can to 'block' the bill, as it
would be a 'toe in the door' to allow further legislation through ..

--
Paul